Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fried Rice

I made some homemade fried rice using the some leftovers from the pork tenderloin. The husband usually looks at a single-dish dinner with a raised eyebrow. He comes from the school of "If there's not a bunch of cloven hoof on my plate, something's wrong." Yeah. I said that.

I pointed out that there was tenderloin in the dish, and he attacked with gusto.



Ingredients:

8 oz pork tenderloin, chopped into bite-sized pieces (I used leftovers. If you are using raw, please cook it before throwing it in the rice. PLEASE? I just had visions of worms in the bowels of people.)

1 small can of water chestnuts, chopped

1 C frozen peas and carrots (Yes. Frozen. It's easier that way today.)

2 tsp oil

1 Tbl oyster sauce

2 Tbl soy sauce

1 garlic clove, minced

2 tsp sesame oil

3 cups cooked and COOLED rice




  1. Defrost the peas and carrots in a bowl in the microwave. Add approximately 1 Tbl of water to the veggies and heat on HIGH for 1 minute.

  2. Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Add 1 tsp of the oil and flash fry the pork. If it's already cooked, you'll only need a minute or two for this. Remove the meat to a bowl.

  3. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the pan and add the vegetables and rice, stirring quickly. Add oyster sauce through sesame oil and continue cooking over HIGH heat approximately

  4. Add the meat to the rice and mix until heated through.


Variations:



  • Go veggie. Forgo the meat and use tofu or just continue to up the veggies.

  • Add some hot pepper flakes to heat things up.

  • Yellow or white onions (chopped) as well as scallions are always welcome additions.

  • I'll add baby corn the next time I do this.

  • Add 1-2 scrambled eggs to up the protein. I didn't have the time or inclination to do it at the time.

Feedback:
The husband was digging this. I was surprised by his reaction. I'm definitely making this again but will up the veggies - probably double of what I used this time around.