Sunday, August 9, 2009

Foccacia

I've finally made a true foray into baking with yeast. Until today, I'd consciously avoided recipes requiring me to create that perfect chemistry of yeast, a food source for that persnickety yeast, and a liquid at some sort of "perfect" temperature I never could seem to obtain.

Until TODAY. I made some simple foccacia following directions from Kittencal's Kitchen. http://kittencalskitchen.com/2009/05/10/kittens-olive-foccacia/



I was able to knead the dough easily. It came together so simply, and I actually had my four year old help me knead. He was a happy chip chappy.

The dough only needs to rise ONCE and does so in an hour. I threw mine into the oven when I left to pick up some fresh veggies for a salad. I have a gas stove-top, and the pilot light provided just the right conditions for the required rise. I baked it according to Kittencal's directions.

I chose to use sea salt, olive oil, dried oregano and basil, and freshly grated Parmesan for toppings.


If you live in fear of yeast - try this one. It'll give you confidence!

Variations:
Kittencal's original recipe calls for olives and suggests using onions as well.
I see feta, thinly-sliced onions, and roasted red peppers as a natural grouping.
I also love provolone and pine nuts as a pairing.
I'm going to use the dough to make TWO thin foccacia loaves and will mound a salad of mixed greens that have been dressed with lemon juice and olive oil on top of the hot bread. I love salad and bread together.

Feedback:
My husband and son almost fell over with joy when I placed the finished product on the table. They were both pleased and munched with glee.

5 comments:

amber said...

::drool::
Alright, as soon as the temp drops a bit, I'm all over this.

Il Duche said...

Woman, this recipe is SO very simple. I made it again today with the kid. I actually split the dough in two - making TWO different ones. One was herbs, tons of sea salt, and roasted garlic; the other had roasted garlic, herbs, and shredded provolone. Cripes. I'm sighing with delight here.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh i heart bread..but ...can't eat it..if i bake something like that..i'd have to try it an then...i'd eat the entire damn thing..sigh*

Wine Girl said...

And what is wrong with eating the whole damn thing?
This looks so good sister, I am going to make this and put the salad on top like you described...yum, cheesecake factory has nothing on you xoxox

Il Duche said...

Dude, preach it to Jackie! She doesn't have to eat the whole thing cause then she'd have blood sugar through the roof. She can have a piece. You can eat the rest. *snicker*

Now. Make it. Do the salad on top - use lemon in the dressing if you have it. It will COMPLETELY refresh the zing of the parm on the foccacia. Trust me! And drink some white wine with it. For me? Please?