Monday, August 24, 2009

Potato-Cheese Casserole

A casserole, at least in my world, needs to have some cheese. Please don't talk to me about gut-clogging fat. Just eat in moderation, ok, folks? In addition, this particular bit of goodness is EASY. I'm talking stupid easy. Simplicity at its best.

You can throw this sucker together when you get home from work and are debating whether or not to sell your children to the highest bidder because they won't do their homework but WILL argue with each other incessantly. Or. Just for kicks, throw it together in 10 minutes or less before leaving for work and let it sit in the fridge while you're at work - knowing that you're halfway to dinner before even leaving work.

Good. Now take a look at this.



The finished product is cheesy goodness.


Potato-Cheese Casserole
Ingredients


1 20oz package of pre-shredded fresh potatoes
1 1/2 C shredded cheese, divided
3/4 C low-fat sour cream
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 c green onions, thinly sliced


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8X8 or similar size pan with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Combine potatoes, 1C cheese, sour cream, seasonings, and green onions in a bowl.

3. Spread the potato mixture in the pan and top with the remaining 1/2 C cheese

4. Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown on top. Be sure to keep an eye on the dish the first time you make it because oven times vary. If yours browns the cheese too quickly, cover the pan with foil and uncover for the last 15 minutes.


Notes:

Potatoes: This recipe is based on using the PLAIN potatoes. The freshly-shredded potatoes can also be purchased with "Southwestern spices." I used these in the original recipe and omitted the salt and pepper. The spices were JUST RIGHT without having to adjust anything.

Cheese: I used Monterey Jack because I adore how it melts and becomes ultra-creamy. Cheddar fan? Go ahead. Cheese is cheese. Use what you like!

Additions: Chop 1/4 C each of onion and green or red pepper and add to the mixture. Finely chop fresh mushrooms to add a different texture to the casserole.


Feedback:

The Pack Mule was digging on the casserole. He is a potato whore and will eat them any way I fix them. I made this casserole on a day when my house was under attack from a bunch of neighborhood boys who would pop into the kitchen every five minutes asking for lemonade or a snack. I served the potatoes with grilled sirloin steaks for the Pack Mule and crab legs for me. We loved the spicy nature of the dish since I used the preseasoned Southwestern potatoes, but Butter wouldn't touch it because of the aroma of the hot peppers.

Could I have shredded my own and added my own spices? Sure. But this is simple stuff. I'm approaching D-Day with my work schedule and am willing to take a bullet from the "I Cannot Believe You Bought Prepared Stuff!" people.

3 comments:

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

I love cooking from scratch, but I've yet to find any cheesy potato recipe that beats the one using frozen potatoes. My recipe even includes canned cream of chicken soup *GASP*

yellowdoggranny said...

if i could eat potatoes..that would be the potatoes i'd eat...oh my...and maybe...add some baaacon..fry up some bacon and crumble it in the mix..

amber said...

Starch and cheese all mixed together with some onions and spices? YES please!
Btw, love the new blogger layout!